This tea is so simple to make it’s hard to believe it has such amazing flavour. Use any mushroom or mix of mushrooms you have available. Add additional ingredients like fresh ginger, green onions and coriander or anything else you like to customize the flavour. Enjoy on its own or add garnishes such as pre-cooked noodles, chopped vegetables or rice to make a delicious soup. One sip will inspire ideas!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- Fresh mushrooms (your choice) – 1 lb
- Water – 8 cups
- Light soy sauce – ½ cup
- Bay leaves (or Labrador tea leaves) – 2
- Kosher salt – 1 tsp
- Using a food processer, pulse mushrooms until coarsely chopped. If customizing, add other flavoring ingredients as green onions. Place in a pot, stir in soy and salt. Add bay leaves.
- Heat over med/high to a temperature of 200F. Try not to boil as it will change the flavor of the tea. If you do, not to worry it will still be delicious. Remove from heat and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Strain through a fine sieve, gently pressing the liquid out of the mushrooms. Add additional seasoning if required. Set aside for future use or enjoy while still warm.
If desired, pour the tea over chosen garnishes, but warm them first, or your tea will cool off very quickly.